23
‘My family hid me away for months. I tried to change into a different person-with shorter hair, a moustache, quiet suits.
我的家里人把我隐匿了几个月。我尽力想变成个完全不同的人——剪短头发,留起胡子,穿着不显眼的衣服。
All my money went to Great and she changed her name to Ross.
我所有的钱都归了格里塔,她把姓改为罗斯。
I told her to buy this island. Now I invest her money, the money that was mine. And now I’m ‘James Ross.’
我叫她买下这个岛。现在我用她的钱投资,这钱原来是我的。现在我是“詹姆斯·罗斯。”
‘What about ‘James Rosso?’ I asked.
“那杰克·罗索呢?”我问。
‘Jake Rosso took drugs,’ he said. ‘Jake Rosso got drunk and crashed cars.
“杰克·罗斯吸毒。”他说,“杰克·罗索喝醉了酒,撞了车。
He killed a young girl, so he had to ‘die’.
他撞死了一个年轻姑娘,所以他不得不‘死’。”
I can never forget the girl. I think about her every day.’
我永远也忘不了那个女孩。我天天想着她。”
‘And that’s who you always look so sad,’ I thought.
“而那便是你为何总显得那么忧郁的原因,”我想。
I looked around the room. ‘Why do you keep a room like this?
我环视了一下这个房间。“你为什么把房间保持这个样子?
Why do you keep the guitars, the posters and photographs?’
你为什么保留这些吉他、海报和照片?”
James Ross did not speak for a minute.
詹姆斯·罗斯沉默了片刻。
Then he said, ‘I need to remember my old life, and what Jake Rosso was like.
然后他说:“我需要记住原来的生活,记住杰克·罗索曾是个什么样子。
I’m never going to sing again and I’m never going to take drugs.
我绝不会再唱歌,也绝不会吸毒。
But I need this room, to remember.’
可是我需要这个房间,以回忆过去。”
未完待续~